I love blueberries. It’s truly an amazing little fruit. And so easy to eat! You don’t need to peel them, or wonder what to do with their seed or how to dispose of their rind. You don’t have sticky fingers either when you’re finished eating (they may be a little blue, but … that’s o.k.). A perfect summer fruit!
Personally, I love to know how beneficial fruit is for me and let me tell you, blueberries are incredibly good for you. This little, tiny fruit is packed full of God’s goodness.
It comes right at the top of anti-oxidants, fighting nasty free radicals in your body. What does this mean for you? Well, antioxidants help fight cancer and build up your immunity. Not only does your immune system benefit but so does your circulatory system, your urinary system and your digestive system. Go blueberries!
Blueberries also help keep your skin healthy and slow down the aging process. Definitely something I want to do!
Apart from eating them by the handful, I love eating blueberries in pancakes. Blueberry pancakes are absolutely scrumptious and make a very satisfying breakfast, lunch or dessert. Go one step further and serve them with homemade blueberry syrup recipe. So delicious!
I love this blueberry pancake recipe. It is very simple to prepare and results in a beautiful light and fluffy pancake. My family loves it.
Blueberry Pancake Recipe
Makes 6 – 10 pancakes
- 2 cups plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 80 g butter
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 cups blueberries
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt together in a large bowl. Stir in the sugar. Make a well in the centre.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs until light and fluffy. Melt the butter. Stir the butter and milk into the eggs.
- Pour the egg mixture into the well and carefully fold all ingredients together until just mixed through. Do not over beat. Add the blueberries and gently fold through. If mixture is too thick add a little more milk.
- Heat a frying pan and grease with a small amount of oil over the surface. Pour approximately 1/3 cup of batter into a moderately hot pan and spread out to desired size. Cook until bubbles form on the surface of the pancake.
- Carefully turn the pancake over with a large spatula and cook the other side until cooked through.